Thursday, July 24, 2008

Campy, Chochki, Kiosk

Have you ever wondered how you can go your entire life without hearing a certain word, then one day out of nowhere you hear it, and all of a sudden everyone you know says it all the time and you wonder how you have never heard it before. This has happened to me several times over the years.

1. Kiosk- I never knew this was the name for those little stands in the mall. One day I heard it used and now I hear it weekly.

2. Chochki (sp?)- This is the most curious of words. I can't find it a dictionary, but they say it on HGTV all the time. As far as I can gather this is the word for little do-dads found all over the place. I'm not sure of size qualifications, like if something can ever be too big or too small to be a chochki. Personally I find this word extremely annoying.

Then it happened again today. The word of the day is "Campy." I heard it this morning on Good Morning America as they describe "Mama Mia" (Great movie!). Then I read it in a magazine and heard it again on E. So here is my question. Have I just been ignoring these words whole life? Is there only a number of times you can ignore something being said and then after you reach the quota you must hear it?

If that is the case, I should put this theory to use with boys. Imagine the possibilities. This would revolutionize male/female relationships worldwide. No longer could boys tune out what we say. I mean it could be annoying at first having to repeat things over and over (but how is that different from now), after a time you would reach the point where they were forced to hear everything we say. Hmmmm....

No comments: