Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Names

Since I was a little girl, I have dreamed about names. The name of my husband, what my new initials would be, the names of all my future children and pets, etc...

Now I am a teacher and my name pool has become tainted. Thankfully, most of my top 5 names are still safe, but some have absolutely been crossed off the list based on the fact that they remind me of people that are obnoxious and annoying. Some names cause me to have visible ticks and twitches whenever mentioned. Others are so bad that when I meet someone else named whatever it is I have to psych myself up to hang out with them because of my negative association with their name!

Lately, something new has started to happen. I hate the sound of my own name. Now, I'm not talking about Amanda (thankfully I haven't taught an Amanda yet). My last name makes my left eye twitch. What is weird is that those who are closest to me frequently call me Whitmire and I enjoy the fact that I never really run across another person with my last name. But these children and their constant "Miss Whitmire, Miss Whitmire, but Miss Whitmire I didn't mean to put my foot in this kleenex box and skate around the room..." have ruined it. I mean seriously...

No comments: